2100 Douglas Blvd, Roseville, CA

Estate Planning, Charitable Giving
And The Northern California Conference

The Planned Giving Department provides information to individuals that will assist them in using gift planning documents such as Wills, Trusts, Gift Annuities, Power of Attorney and Health Care Directives; that will provide for and protect family members and support God's work in Northern California and beyond.

Our department has received the highest possible accreditation by the North American Division of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists and certification for all of our planned giving professional staff. We are committed to assisting you with helpful information regarding the best way for you to benefit through a planned gift and to assist you with planning for the distribution of your estate. Please give us a call at 916-886-5699 and we will be happy to assist you.

Read More
Text Resize
Subsribe to RSS Feed

Sunday June 4, 2023

Savvy Living

Savvy Senior

Social Security Benefits for Family Members

What are the Social Security benefits for family members? What are the qualifications for eligibility?

Depending on your specific circumstances, you may be eligible for Social Security benefits as a spouse, child or a divorced spouse. Here is what you should know.

Who is Eligible?

Eligibility requirements for social security benefits vary based on the beneficiary's classification. A spouse beneficiary may be eligible if they are 62 years of age and receive retirement or disability benefits. Children who have parents that receive Social Security retirement, disability benefits, or have passed away may be eligible for Social Security benefits if the children are unmarried, under 18 years of age, between the ages 18 to 19 and a full-time student or if they are 18 years and older and are disabled from a disability that occurred before age 22. Eligible children include biological, adopted and stepchildren. A divorced spouse can collect Social Security retirement benefits based on their ex-spouse's earnings record if they are at least 62 years of age, were married to the ex-spouse for at least 10 years, are not remarried, are not eligible for a higher benefit based on their own earnings record and qualify for Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

Benefit Amount

For a current spouse, the amount will be determined based on the starting age of receiving benefits. For individuals between the ages 62 through full retirement age, the amount of benefits will be permanently reduced by 25/36 of 1% for each month before the full retirement age, up to 36 months of reduction. At full retirement age, the benefit cannot exceed one-half of the full retirement amount of the spouse.

Benefits paid to eligible children do not decrease the retirement benefit. The amount may be up to half of the parent's full retirement or disability benefit amount. The benefits will end when the child reaches age 18 unless there is an eligible disability. If the child is a full-time student, benefits will continue until the child graduates or two months after the child reaches age 19, whichever occurs first.

A divorced spouse can receive up to 50% of their former spouse's full Social Security benefit. The amount is less if they take benefits before their full retirement age, which is age 66 for people born in 1943-1954 and age 67 for people born in 1960 or later. To determine your full retirement age and approximate reduction for early retirement, see the Social Security retirement chart located on SSA.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/agereduction.html.

Please note that if you qualify for benefits based on your own work history, you will receive the larger of the two benefits. You cannot receive benefits based on both you and your ex-spouse's earning records.

You can learn more about your Social Security benefits by creating an account on the Social Security website and requesting a Social Security Statement. Visit SSA.gov/myaccount to create an account.

To apply for benefits, additional information may be required to apply as a spouse or ex-spouse. Visit SSA.gov/forms/ssa-2.html for more information.

Savvy Living is written by Jim Miller, a regular contributor to the NBC Today Show and author of "The Savvy Living" book. Any links in this article are offered as a service and there is no endorsement of any product. These articles are offered as a helpful and informative service to our friends and may not always reflect this organization's official position on some topics. Jim invites you to send your senior questions to: Savvy Living, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070.

Published June 2, 2023
Subsribe to RSS Feed

Previous Articles

Does Medicare Cover Nail Care?

Does Medicare Cover Physical Therapy Services?

Online Dating

How to Prepare a Will

Tips and Tours for Traveling with Grandchildren


Power of Attorney

If you want to be sure that a person you trust will be able to make decisions for you when you are unable to do so, you can create a power of attorney agreement for healthcare or finances. A power of attorney for healthcare allows a person (known as your agent) to make decisions about the medical care you will or will not receive. A power of attorney for finances allows your agent to manage your financial affairs. Your agent must make decisions consistent with what they know your wishes are, even if they personally disagree. If they do not know your wishes on a particular matter, they must act in your best interest. You can give your agent broad authority to make decisions related to your financial or health care needs, or you can limit their authority to certain types of decisions. Depending on your needs, we can help you create a power of attorney agreement that will be active immediately, will go into effect if you become incapacitated, or will only be in effect for a limited time or under specific circumstances.

Contact Us
  • Estate Planning News
  • E-newsletter
  • Probate
  • 916-886-5699

    2100 Douglas Blvd.
    Roseville, CA 95661

    View Map